Well, now that I have jolted Bryper back into action with his Social Media Top 10, and Scott Monty has volunteered to be the RC Cola of this group with his Social Media Takeaways, the pressure is on to keep up the Social Media Top 5.
SMT5 is the longest-running (5th edition already!) uninterrupted Social Media roundup, and the only one with sufficient snark. There are real insights in here, I’m just making you do the work to find them….
1. The Great Twitter Panic of ’07 (not to be confused with the Great Twitter outage of ’07): Jaiku bought by Google: Twitter users panic, stock up on Jaiku invites, milk, beer and strawberry pop-tarts. Oh, and Bacn
2. Die! Note From Your Mother, Die! Die! Die! First, an uproar by Tom Foremski and others led to efforts to create a social Media Press Release (SMPR); then, Bryan Person applied the same idea to the resume (SMR). Now– presenting, the Social Media Note From Your Mother (SMNFYM).
- A purpose-built del.icio.us portfolio page, with links to Dr. Koop.com for info on flu, whooping cough and measles
- A pointer to your pediatrician’s LinkedIn profile
- Linked photos of the sick child, for proof of bloodshot eyes, pale complexion, swollen glands and other symptoms
- Embedded video of illness, including vomiting and coughing fit
- Links to PDF files of the official Doctor’s note, and e-signatures from the mother (or father or legal guardian)
- Link to IM stream with friends (“OMG OMG I so totally puked on the new rug LOL”).
3. Tom Foremski likens PR industry to Wile E. Coyote in RoadRunner cartoons. Sneak peak of next post: Advertising industry is akin to Oil Can Harry from Mighty Mouse.
4. Target discovers a way to grow astroturf indoors.
5. Steve Jobs congratulate’s Al Gore’s Nobel win on Apple‘s home page. Al Gore to reciprocate by congratulating Jobs un successful iPhone launch on AlGore.com, and promises Jobs cabinet position if he runs in 2008: “Secretary of Technology.” First step: military communications equipment will have new slick interfaces but no radios.