No. Goodness no.
I am here thinking about why we Like comments or posts, and if those of us reading can tell the difference. This becomes more pronounced in Groups, where the relationships among members with common interests are likely stronger. Also, I’m not thinking about Page Likes, either, as liking them is akin to collecting pogs (does that really only date back to the 90s?) or baseball cards (“If I Like one more toothpaste brand, I have the whole set!” – you hear that often, right?)
What do you mean when you “Like” a status update or comment?
- The “Just Letting You Know I’m There”
- The “LOL”
- The “I Was Going to Say That But You Did So Now I Don’t Have To”
- The “I’m Way Too Busy/Important to Add to the Conversation”
- The Ironic “I Actually Hate This and if You Know Me at All You Also Know I’m Just Trolling”
- The “I am Flagging This For My Friends Even though Only the Person Who Wrote it Will See My Like”
- The “I Was Taking a Break and Liking Everything in My Main Newsfeed”
- The “Everyone Else I Know is Liking This So I Had Better to Show I Share Their Values”
- The “I Haven’t Commented or Liked Anything in a While, So I Should Go and Like Stuff to Show People I Care Even Though I Don’t.”
- The ” “Sounds Good to Me but I Have Nothing to Add So…Moving On!”
- The “I’m Liking This Because I Liked Everything Else on This Thread and Don’t Want You to be Offended (You Oversensitive Twerp)”
- The “You Owe Me an Email/Document/Money/Apology and I’m Going to Like All of Your Posts and Comments to Let You Know I’m Watching You.”
- The “You Have All This Time to Post on Facebook But You Can’t Call Your Mother?”
- The “This Like Indicates my Sensitive Soul’s Gratitude that Anyone Saw and Heard Me Much Less Spoke Back! Sooo Much Better than High School When All My Heys Got Ignored.”
- The “That Idea is So Good I Wrote a Blog Post About it – Two Years Ago” – Yeah, that happened
Did I miss any? Add your favorite “Likes” in Comments. And feel free to Like this post on Facebook (unless you are being Ironic).