Doug Haslam

Gischeleman: "To Create With the Mind"

By

Formatting a Thumb Drive for Your Car: A Solution to a Nagging Problem

I drive a Honda Fit (2009 Sport model), and love the USB connector in the dash. Not being an iPod owner, I use it to connect a thumb drive that is big enough to hold as much music as I can stand. There were a few obstacles to getting this just right, however, and I thought I would write about the process here in case anyone else who had issues and like me is a not a super tech-nerd but can handle some hackerish tasks.

First, the problems:

• The Fit (and possibly other cars) are picky about formatting: I needed to format my disk in “FAT32,” but on my Windows 7 lap top with a 64GB drive, that option doesn’t show up, only NTFS and exFAT. When I tried to use a drive formatted with either of those options, the car would not read it.

• The car stereo would not display all of the folders: I discovered that if you have more than 700 folders, too bad (it’s easy to have that much music on 64GB. The car would read the first 699. You could play any track in random mode (I realized this when Velvet Underground tracks played even though I could not find the folder), but you couldn’t go select the train is manually.
  • Folders would not appear in any logical order: Actually, it’s perfectly logical for folders to appear in the order you placed them on the disc, but that doesn’t help you when you have scored of folders you might like in alphabetical order. The tags in the MP3 files don’t always help, either, especially if you have a single folder for one artist drawing from several albums.

So, on to the solutions.

• Limiting Folders: That was a simple matter of being more efficient in how I copied music on to the USB drive, creating one folder for each artist (for the most part), and  then finding away to arrange the files in order (next). That got me well under the manageable number of folders.
  • Rename the Song Files: The forum poster pointed me to an MP3 re-tagging utility. It turned out to be pretty easy to use. I renamed the files (once copied to the USB stick, never touching my originals) to display the album name first to group albums together within artist folders, then track #, then name. The images below show the process for renaming one of my albums, but you could do the whole shebang in one stroke. One thing I could not figure out was the code for shortening album titles so I could cram more info into the short car stereo display (the example in the post didn’t work for me), but otherwise it worked well.

• On to sorting the files: The forum post pointed to this file sorting utility, which overwrote the default ordering (folders pop up on car display by date modified) by letting you order them as you wish. I, of course, chose alphabetical. The example below shows me adding a single folder (Nick Cave”) and putting it in its proper place.

Now, I can find any file by artist, rather than searching through jhundreds of artist and album folders in seemingly random order. Plus, when I add new purchases, I can lip them into the proper findable order as well. It was a bit of picking to find the process, but now that I have it it is reasonably easy. I hope this helps anyone else out there looking for a similar solution.

16 Responses to Formatting a Thumb Drive for Your Car: A Solution to a Nagging Problem

1. JoeCascio says:

This is what happens when car manufacturers build software. They don’t have a clue. I wonder if Ford has followed thru on their initiative to open their platform to outside app developers. Unfortunately, they went with a Windows platform. Someday some car company that realizes it should stick to steel and wheels will put a simple Linux box in their products and let developers have at it.

2. Doug Haslam says:

I think they just assume everyone wants to plug in their iPod and use those playlists. I’m sure that works fine, but it’s not for me. It would be nice to have a more elegant solution, perhaps imagined by a Linux developer.

3. Clifford says:

I bought a Jensen JMS2212 radio and it has a USB port. I downloaded music to the flash drive and when I tryed to play it just played the first song over and over??? I can’t FF or REV. When I contacted Jensen they said I needed to place all the music in one folder but diden’t tell me how. Anybody know how to put 4GB of music in one folder and transfer it to a flash drive?

4. Ken says:

Sounds like a lot of work doing the re-tagging utility, but have not tried that yet. I bought a 16 gig PNY thumb drive and put most of my music on it. Same problem for me, my Charger has a factory usb input so I thought I could play it that way. Some songs and folders show up and some dont. I have tried several things but not had any luck getting it to work right. I was at walmart the other day and saw a little thumb drive that said on the package “Made for car audio”. It was only 4 gig but also only 9 bucks so I bought it. I put the songs/groups that didnt work on the first drive onto this drive. Bam! every song and folder shows up. But I cant find any of these larger than 4 gig. A bunch of sites on internet say the drives should be fat32 to work right, well my 16 gig is already fat32 but it does not work right…Hoping this may help someone

5. Doug Haslam says:

Thanks for the comments all. I don’t have all the answers, but I was looking for a page like this when I was trying to format my thumb drive. Hopefully all of this is obsolete shortly.

For myself, I actually started subscribing to Spotify and have been using that through my phone more lately. Streaming anything you want on demand may end up being the future anyway. Who knows…

6. Steve says:

My music is all well tagged and sorted how I like using drive sort. Plugging in my iPhone gives a much more sophisticated look, being able to search using the tags.
    What I am wondering is if there is a way to trick the system into thinking an iPod has been plugged in when you plug in a USB stick.
    Presumably there is something like a table of contents or another file which the system recognises and displays those options. If you could mimic this file on the USB stick, perhaps this could be achieved. If anyone can help with this, please share!
    Thanks

7. Doug Haslam says:

Steve– I have not found a way to trick the system,- alas, they are optimized for ipods/iphones when not even a majority of the population have them. That would be a curious hack.

Jack– my Honda Fit display does not allow for images, so I was not concerned with album art. feel free to comment here again if you find a solution, as I remain curious,

8. I’m entertaining the idea of setting up my very own blog.
    Is it possible to give me a couple of tips?

Here is my page – sell your automobile

9. You’re an excellent blogger. I have subscribed to your blog cos I really don’t want to
    miss your up coming blig posts

Here is my webpage sell your automobile (http://www.youtube.com)

10. Thanks for sharing such a nice thought, post is nice,
    thats why i have read it completely

11. It’s actually a neat plus valuable section of data. I am pleased for you to contributed this helpful information and facts here. Remember to stop us advised similar to this. Appreciate your discussing.

12. You’re so right. I find out about this constantly. Amazing post.

Feel free to visit my homepage – selling vehicle

13. You’re so right. I read about this all the time.
    Incredible post.

Feel free to visit my blog post :: Toris Autos tumblr site

14. Sbobet says:

I do not even understand how I finished up right here, but
    I thought this post was once great. I don’t recognize who you
    are however certainly you are going to a well-known blogger if you are not
    already. Cheers!

15. Your blog post is actually awesome. May I follow you on Twitter?

My web blpg – selling aan automobile faast [http://www.youtube.com]

16. Michael Bates says:

Nice post. I had a similar problem with my Pioneer stereo. The tracks and folders weren’t in alphabetical order, which made finding folders harder and made audiobooks troublesome since chapters were out of order. The DriveSort utility did the trick for me. One thing to note if you want to sort sub folders, check the sub folder options under the sort and save icons. And saving the changes will take several minutes if you have a lot of files.