However, for reference, I thought I would catalog the top posts by popularity. Caveat: I left some posts out, as I wanted to stick to “idea” posts. So yes, I’m cheating. My list, my rules.
Special thanks to Christopher Penn for publicizing an easy way to use Google Analytics to find your popular posts.
- It’s Not Just Targeting- It’s Timing: This call to add more depth to simple targeting in media relations struck a chord. The pressure for immediate results can skunk PR timing, but given room to breathe we can tell some beautiful stories
- Do Taglines Matter?: After seeing a Jeremiah Owyang survey that showed a lack of recognition for social media providers’ “tag lines,” I wondered if they really mattered. Not sure I ever really answered the question, but sometimes that’s the beauty of blogging.
- Twitter=Star Trek Facebook=Chrysler: This was such a silly post I almost left it off the list (remember: my rules), but the fact that Chris Brogan linking to it and driving a lot of traffic underscored the fact that the short, silly post actually had a point; were social media audiences beginning to diverge? They were for me back in January.
- Do We Agree Too Much Online? Yes We Do- I Mean, No We Don’t: I successfully defended both sides of an argument- or did I pick them both apart? Anyhow, a good, spirited discussion ensued.
- Social Media Top 5: Brian Solis Gives Me a Headache, Twitter Chat Advice, & Outside the Echo: I like doing my “Social Media Top 5″ posts. Should I be discouraged that I have to get to #5 (really, #6- rules) to find the most popular one? Should I bother with the series?
- Social Media Jungle Boston; A Snapshot: An event post- Jeff Pulver’s event, actually- with lots of link love for the speakers. I hope I did them a service. One thing I recall- I was sick as a dog that day, but glad I went.
- Getting Impatient with Social Media: After the “Social Media Rockstars” Social CRM event, I came away frustrated that I was hearing the same stuff over and over. Ha that really improved? Another note: for some reason, this post ha been getting spam comments. Curious, though that seems just useless to me.
- PR? Or Just Social Media?: A favorite of mine. I woke up one day wondering if all my writing about social media left people unaware that I am a longtime PR guy. I don’t think I needed to worry, but it was a good topic.
- Social Media Top 5: Madness! Ethical PR? How to Follow 10,000? PR in Charge of Social Media?: I think overreacting to the tone of one of the posts I quoted might have helped get some attention. It’s all good.
- Social Media Top 5: Goodbye, D*****bags: Should I give more weight to this post because it has only been up for a month? How do you account for that regarding traffic, to try to imagine the traffic this post might get in a full year? I do note that many posts only get traffic for a little bit, then die off. Perhaps a decent reason to revisit some.
As stated above, I did this more for my own reference. However, if you like it, please give a shout in comments. Thanks.