This week, the SXSW interactive conference is going on down in Austin, Texas, and all the “cool kids” from social media are there.
This Week’s Social Media Top 5 addresses this apparent injustice.
1) Why I’m not at SXSW 1: If Austin, Texas gets nuked over the next few days, I move up 155,732 spots on the succession chart and have a better shot at becoming the new King of Social Media (yah, yah, “Uneasy lies the crown,” blah blah blah, stow it).
2) Why I’m not at SXSW 2: Why travel all that way when there is some great, compelling SXSW-related content is making its way around the web:
Take Twitter, for example:
3) More Twitter (before SXSW traffic knocks it offline). For those of us not at SXSW: what did you do or have happen to you because you were not at SXSW?
(Thanks to my friends on Twitter)
4) Microsoft or Google ready to buy Digg? Potential deals are being held up due to constant objections by the “Bury Brigade.”
5) In other social media news, FoulBastard banned from Twitter for, well, soliciting pornography (remarkably, this link has been rendered safe for work; but if you click from there, watch out). Resurrected as “FowlBastard.” Others who could be banned:
– @SarahSilverman (for F**king Matt Damon)
(Update: the “Free FoulBastard” movement has prevailed, and the original FoulBastard has been reinstated)