My “Email is Dead” email rant
***This is a memo I sent at work today. Good fodder for how to get me in general. Yes, I sent it via email. But that fits within my rules.**
I come not to praise email, but to bury it.
I have finally reached the breaking point with email. Email is irretrievably broken as a quick communications tool. This is a note about the best way to get in touch with me for any timely info.
If you email me something in the morning, it quickly gets buried in client emails, etc. so: if you need to tell me something timely and want to make sure I get the message in time, do the following:
- Stop by my desk
- Buzz my extension
- Call my cell – or text message me
- If you are on Twitter, direct messages go right to my phone
- I am on Skype for IM. I have AIM, but don’t always have it turned on.
Email is best for:
- To-do lists
- Anything else that should be kept as an ongoing record.
- Anything that is not timely.
So if it doesn’t need to be in an email, don’t send it that way. If you don’t mind if I don’t see something for a few hours, then go ahead.
Thanks—and have a great Thanksgiving,